Monday, May 23, 2011

Welcome to my Blog!

After years of saying I should blog, I have finally begun to blog, and I would like to begin by thanking all of you for reading my online musings.  Of course, sports dominate my consciousness, but many other things catch my attention from time to time as well.  All of you who know me clearly understand that I don't shirk from potential controversy, and I also have been known to have some "interesting" ideas from time to time.

This blog will evolve over time, hopefully will respond to many of the desires of the masses who undoubtedly will follow....My aim for this bit of cyberspace is to entertain, provide thought provoking ideas, and to spark good natured debate over topics of the day or just stuff that I randomly think of.

Before I go any further, I wish to extend sincere, heartfelt prayers for the people of Joplin, MO who have endured such an unspeakable tragedy with the massive tornado strike which so far has claimed well over 100 lives.  This storm has really impacted me emotionally, and I only know 1 person who hails from Joplin, a lovely young woman named Treva Christensen, who I had the pleasure of working with at Bailey's Gym in Jacksonville.  I plan to head to Joplin in the next day or two to assist with relief and recovery efforts in any way I can.  I have time available, and I need to help those folks.

Now, back to more intorductory blog stuff....

The name of this blog, "Third Base Coaching Box" implies a heavy dose of baseball talk in this space.  Indeed, baseball has been a passion of mine since I was still sitting on Mom and Dad's lap back on the farm in Beardstown, IL.  I love it, I love my St. Louis Cardinals, I love the traditions and the rivalries, I love the unwritten rules and the assymetrical nature of the parks the game is played in.  I love the Cardinals' rivalry with the Cubs, and I love the hot rivalries du jour as they develop over the course of competitive seasons.

So baseball will be written here.

So will football, some politics, discussion of food, vacation spots, daily frustrations and thoughts, and a little of this and a little of that.  I won't always be politically correct, but I will not use this space to be ugly, hurtful, or malicious toward anyone....(that doesn't keep me from criticizing those who have it coming, however.....)  My Mother taught me to be respectful to people and lots of other great lessons from life.  Judy passed away way too early, leaving us for her Heavenly Home on St. Patrick's Day this year. 

Mom would have read my blog every entry, even if it bored her to pieces....just because she loved her family.  We loved and still love her, too, and we miss her a whole heck of a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment